Online Group Music Lessons
Introducing the all new Group Online Lessons. I have gathered with a few of Calgary's top musicians/music teachers to offer several courses on many different instruments. All of our teachers are extremely experienced at teaching group workshops and are some of the most in demand teachers visiting numerous schools every year. Each course will meet once a week for 60-90 minutes to focus on improving skills and having fun with music. Due to the nature of internet connections, these lessons will be set up as webinars through the Zoom platform where the student will get to play and interact with their teacher in the course of your choice. During each lesson there will also be some one on one check ups with the teacher to make sure each student is progressing with the group. We will be putting together videos from each students' participation that they can share with friends and family at the end of the workshop.
The cost of these lessons has been set at $20/lesson per student. Each course will run for 9-10 weeks starting in the middle of October or as soon as we have met our minimum enrolment. There is a minimum of six students per course and we will split the sessions into smaller groups if any class gets too large. Once the course is confirmed we will require the course fees to be paid before the first class starts. No refunds will be issued once the class starts as we won’t be able to add new students to each class once it starts. Some courses will require students to purchase music or play along tracks in addition to music provided by the instructor.
We are in the process of adding additional courses and instructors. If you have a request for a program, please contact us at the email below too. Currently we have courses for Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Trumpet, Low Brass, Bass and Percussion/Drums. Click here for a downloadable PDF brochure, or keep reading.
To register send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Beginner Saxophone Ensemble - Geared towards students with 1-3 years of playing experience. In this course we will learn arrangements for a small sax ensemble in many styles from jazz-classical and if time permits taking students choices for music selections. Classes are Wednesday from 5:00-6:30pm
- Intermediate Sax Ensemble - This is similar to the beginner ensemble, but with a greater degree of difficulty. For this class 4-6 years of experience is advised, but exceptions will be made for advanced students with less experience. Classes are Wednesday from 6:45-8:15pm
- Adult Woodwind Ensemble - This class is specific to all adult woodwind musicians. As one of Calgary’s leading doublers, Keith O’Rourke is uniquely skilled to offer a class that can cater to most instruments in the woodwind family. For this class we will also be bringing in specialists on each instrument so that the students will get a few different perspectives on the same music. Repertoire will be chosen to fit the instrumentation and skill levels that enroll in the class. A short audio clip of each student will be required to assess the level of the player and choose repertoire. Classes are Saturday from 10:00-11:30am
- Clarinet skills level 1 - In this class you will learn all sorts of clarinet skills, tips and tricks to get better at the clarinet! We will work on tone, tonguing, finger speed, squeak prevention, crossing the break and more while playing new songs, exercises and studies. This course is geared towards students that have been playing for 1-2 years. Classes are Thursday from 5:15-6:45pm
- Clarinet skills level 2 - Similar to level 1, but more advanced, in this class you will learn more advanced clarinet skills, tips and tricks to get better at the clarinet! Improve your range (high notes), finger speed, alternate fingerings and how to cross the break(s) smoothly all while playing brand new songs, exercises and studies. This course is geared towards students that have been playing for 3 or more years. Classes are Thursday from 7:00-8:30pm
- Flute technique and chamber music level 1 - Geared towards students that have completed grades 7-9, this class will give students the opportunity to improve their skills while also focusing on chamber pieces. Classes are Tuesday from 6:00-7:30pm
- Flute technique and chamber music level 2 - Geared towards students that have completed grades 10-12, this class will give students the opportunity to improve their skills while also focusing on chamber pieces. Classes are Tuesday from 7:45-9:15pm
- Trumpet Masterclass (Junior High) - This course is for students that have 1-3 years of experience will cover trumpet fundamentals, breathing, rhythm, tuning etc... Participants will also work on repertoire that will be presented at the end of the course. Classes are Tuesdays from 7:00-8:30pm
- Trumpet Masterclass (High School) - This course is for students that have 4-6 years of experience will cover trumpet fundamentals, breathing, rhythm, tuning etc... Participants will also work on repertoire that will be presented at the end of the course. Classes Thursdays from 7:00-8:30pm
- Bass Masterclass (All levels) - Join award winning upright and electric bassist Kodi Hutchinson for a weekly masterclass series aimed at Junior High and High School bassists primarily involved in band programs. Kodi will take students through technique, reading, learning how to move freely on the bass and performing. The program will end with students performing an online recital via Zoom for their family and peers in the final week. Classes are Thursdays from 5:00-6:30pm
- Trombone & Low Brass Masterclass (All levels) - This course is for all low brass students looking to get better and explore proper techniques, breathing, rhythm, tuning while preparing a variety of low brass specific repertoire. At the end of the course we will be putting together a video for the students to present their music to friends and family. Classes are Fridays from 4:00-5:30pm
- Percussion and Drum Set Fundamentals for Junior High - Students will learn a series of drumming, percussion and rhythm fundamentals to help them excel when their school music programs resume. At the end of the course students will film themselves to contribute to some collaborative videos with other workshop groups as well as possibly percussion ensemble repertoire, depending on the instrumentation that the group has. The percussion classes will run for one hour and the cost will be $15/student/session. Classes are Mondays from 6:00-7:00pm
- Percussion and Drum Set Fundamentals for High School- Students will learn a series of drumming, percussion and rhythm fundamentals to help them excel in their school music program. At the end of the course students will film themselves to contribute to some collaborative videos with other workshop groups as well as possibly percussion ensemble repertoire, depending on the instrumentation that the group has. The percussion classes will run for one hour and the cost will be $15/student/session. Classes are Fridays from 5:30-6:30pm
Online Drop-in Classes
For these classes, please register no later than 10pm the day before the class. Classes can be purchased at $15 per class or you can buy a five class pass for $60.
- Jazz Improvisation class (all instruments and all levels) - Every week Keith O’Rourke will lead students through learning of a different jazz standard. We will learn the chord changes, strategies for playing over them, standard vocabulary and vocabulary from great artists. We will also do some improvisation games, call and response, trading solos with the instructor and more. There will be a handout for each session, so please specify what instrument you play, so that your handout is in the correct key. If you can play some or most of your major scales, you can join these drop in sessions, with your microphone off this is a risk free way to get an introduction to jazz improvisation. Classes are Thursday from 8:00-9:00pm
- Flute Masterclass - We’re offering a flute masterclass every second Wednesday, with the first one being on Wednesday October 7. This class is a wonderful opportunity to ask Rachael Flatt any specific questions on how to play the flute, especially for students that were unable to enroll in the Flute Chamber music class. This is also an opportunity to perform a solo work for a group of students, or to meet Rachael if you were thinking of taking private lessons. The length of this session is dependant on how many students register each week. Classes are Wednesday starting at 6:30pm
- Clarinet Masterclass - We’re offering a clarinet masterclass every second Saturday, with the first one being on Saturday October 10. This class is a wonderful opportunity to ask Cedric Blary any specific questions on how to play the clarinet, such as “is there an easier way to play this passage?” or “why am I squeaking on this note?” This class is a great opportunity for all levels of clarinetists, especially for students that were unable to enrol in the Clarinet Skills music class. This is a perfect place to perform a solo work for a group of students, or to meet Cedric if you were thinking of taking private lessons. The length of this session is dependant on how many students register each week. Classes are Saturday starting at 1:00pm
- Saxophone Masterclass - We’re offering a saxophone masterclass every second Saturday, with the first one being on Saturday October 3. This class is a wonderful opportunity to ask Keith O’Rourke any saxophone questions, such as how to improve tone, play low notes better, tonguing, finding easier ways to play awkward repertoire, etc.... This class is open to all levels of saxophonists, especially for students that were unable to enrol in the Saxophone Ensemble classes. This is a perfect place to perform a solo work for a group of students, or to meet Keith if you were thinking of taking private lessons. The length of this session is dependant on how many students register each week. Classes are Saturday starting at 1:00pm
Drop-in class dates
Flute Masterclass: Oct 7 , 21, Nov 4, 18, Dec 2, 16
Clarinet Masterclass: Oct 10, 24, Nov 7, 21, Dec 5, 19
Saxophone Masterclass: Oct 3, 17, 31, Nov 14, 28, Dec 12
Jazz Improvisation: Oct 8, 15, 22, 29, Nov 5, 12, 19, 26, Dec 3, 10
Fall Classes to be announced soon
Although we are primarily focusing on our summer offerings at the moment, we will also be teaching courses in the fall. There will be different versions of many of our summer courses. For the fall these classes will be once a week for 90 minutes. Much like our summer courses, we will be doing video projects for the students. They will be required to record on their own and submit a video to the teacher who will put the video together and send it to the group. Students will be able to share the videos with friends and families. These classes will be $20/student for each class. The start of classes is TBA. In order to maintain the highest quality we will be limiting each class to 10 participants, but once each class is full we will schedule an additional one.
We are also adding introduction courses for all the instruments. For these beginning instrumental classes, we will be structuring the first few lessons differently. We will be announcing the details later this summer, but please contact us to enquire about reserving a spot.
Contact email@example.com for registration and inquiries.